Saturday, June 21, 2014

BRIAR ROSE QUILT

Pattern:  Briar Rose by England Street Quilts www.englandstreet.blogspot.com.au
Material:  Batik Jelly Roll

Linking to:  WIP Wednesday by Freshly Pieced and Let's Bee Social by Sew Fresh Quilts

I haven't blogged for quite a while as all I seem to be doing is chasing my tail and starting projects but not finishing them (naughty girl)  When I started to quilt, I said to myself, only have two projects on the go at once, but somehow there are so many wonderful things to make I got lost along the way.

Of course going on an overseas holiday to Canada and USA for 6 weeks didnt help my sewing projects at all.  I dragged poor hubby to as many quilt shops as I could find and even came home with another project quilt to make of Alaskan animals, as my souvenir.

Sometimes I am just like a Bower Bird and attracted to bright colours and before we left, I did manage to finish a quilt top from a batik jelly roll that had caught my attention.  I loved the mix of colours and teeming it with a white homespun, worked out quite well.

I asked my girlfriend Mandy from www.seamssewtogether.blogspot.com if she wouldn't mind quilting some feathers in the white crosses while we were away and then I forgot about it and went about enjoying the holiday.  Mandy messaged me to say it was finished and then all I wanted to do was see it.  She wouldn't send me a photo, said it wouldn't do it justice and she was right......

Never in a million years did I think my humble quilt top would turn into a beautiful work of art but IT DID.




What a transformation !!  Mandy did a wonderful job with her long arm machine and I think the bright colours really make it POP and grab your attention.  You can check out Mandys blog to get her explanation on the technical side of the quilting but I just love it.





All I need to do is stop looking at it and put the binding around the edge, then I can begin to use it.

Thanks Mandy, it was a good team effort  xxxxx






  
 

17 comments:

Seams Sew Together said...

It was a pleasure to quilt for you and I fell in love with it so much that I really didn't want to give it back, so
I am going to make myself one, its on the list. Great work Dawn your quilt was nice and square which made the job easier!!
Enjoy!!

Sandy said...

the quilt pattern is great and i love your fabric and colour choices, but the quilting just makes it sing!!! and i mean a very beautiful song!!!! love

Dawn said...

Thanks Sandy, yes it certainly brings the quilt to life

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Absolutely stunning!

Kymberly said...

I really love this pattern. The bright colors really pop and the quilting just pushes everything over the top!

Marly said...

You're right, this is absolutely beautiful. Well done to the pair of you!

Michelle said...

That quilt has turned from extraordinary to SUPER EXTRAORDINARY!!!! So beautiful!

The Cozy Pumpkin said...

What a bright and cheery quilt, and your friend's quilting really accentuates the design!

Mari said...

Beautiful! And I really like the green border--it really sets off all the colors!

Rachel said...

Very pretty! I love how that green border goes with all the bright little squares.

Kim @ TiesThatBindQuilting said...

Stunning quilting! The white crosses really pop off the fun colorful background!

Marsha Cooper said...

I popped in seeing your photo because of the design.
Did you take part in the Goodnight Irene through Terry's Treasures Blog.

The quilting is so gorgeous!!
I do wish I was financially able to have my quilts professionally quilted, but alas, I'm not.

Dawn said...

So glad you popped in and thanks for putting me onto Terry's Treasures. It's always nice to meet new friends. I'm sure your quilting is just as pretty as a professional and I don't usually get mine done, but once in a while it's nice to spoil yourself.

Wendi said...

Wow, it's beautiful! The quilting is such a compliment. I made a quilt with this pattern for my mother for Christmas, wish it had your quilt job.

Lorna McMahon said...

What an incredibly gorgeous quilt, Dawn. This one is right up my alley! I adore the bright colours and the quilting has really given them a chance to truly shine. The green border was a good call, too. This piece is just beautiful!

Donna said...

Just love it Dawn, great job ladies...

Shannon @ Modern Tradition Quilts said...

Oh my! What a beautiful quilt. I love the batik colors and the quilting is stunning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...